This course focuses on building the skills all chefs need in order to purchase, prepare, cook, and serve complex dishes consisting of a wide array of common proteins. We recommend this course for those students who already have a strong culinary skill set and simply want to enhance their cooking methods and improve their techniques.
Please note: While there are no official prerequisites for enrolling in this course, we strongly recommend that you either have already taken our Introduction to Culinary Arts course or have a working knowledge of the basics of cooking.
Fall 2020: Tuesday - 11/10, 11/17, 11/24, 12/1, 12/8, and 12/15 (registration not yet open)
Time: 7:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Tuition: $435.00 per person
Week 1: Filled Pasta
Week 2: Poultry
Week 3: Meats
Week 4: Fish
Week 5: Feathered Game
Week 6: Shellfish
What to Expect:
- Classes are typically 2 1/2 hours long (unless otherwise noted)
- Classes are limited to 12, 14, or 16 students per kitchen (depending on curriculum and Chef's preference)
- Participants typically work in teams to execute recipes; however, individual skills will be taught.
- You will be standing and cooking for most of the class.
- We ask that all participants wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes as the kitchen floors can be slippery. Any type of heels should not be worn.
- Long pants are also suggested to protect the skin from possible burns.
- Long hair should be tied back and secure.
What do I bring to class?
This class requires each attendee to have the following items: 6-9” Chef Knife, 2-4” Paring Knife, Mixing Spoon, Measuring Cup Set, Measuring Spoon Set, Vegetable Peeler, Whisk, Tongs, and Flexible Spatula. If you don’t have these items, don’t worry! These items are available in a pre-packaged toolkit for sale in our online store: store.walnuthillcollege.edu/equipment
This course is held in the kitchens of the historical Allison Mansion at 4207 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Guests are welcome to use our FREE gated parking lot directly off of Walnut Street between 42nd and 43rd Streets. Parking is available on a first come, first served basis. Please enter the main entrance to be directed to your course by a College representative.