This course focuses on building the skills of bakers looking to tackle more complex breads, pastries, and confections and to learn more detailed techniques. We recommend this course for those students who already have a strong baking skill set and want to enhance and improve their baking methods.
Please note: While there are no official prerequisites for enrolling in this course, we strongly recommend that you either have already taken our Introduction to Pastry Arts course or have a working knowledge of the basics of baking.
Week 1: Enriched Breads
Week 2: Savory & Sweet Breakfast Pastries
Week 3: Crêpes and Dessert Sauces
Week 4: Decorative Buttercream
Week 5: Soufflé and Crème Brûlée
Week 6: Chocolate Ganache and Variety Tarts
Fall 2019: Tuesdays - 11/5, 11/12, 11/19, 11/26, 12/3, and 12/10
Time: 7:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Tuition: $435.00 per person
What to Expect:
- Classes are typically 2 1/2 hours long (unless otherwise noted)
- Classes are limited to 12 students per kitchen
- Participants typically work in teams to execute recipes; however, individual skills will be taught.
- You will be standing and cooking for most of the class.
- We ask that all participants wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes as the kitchen floors can be slippery. Any type of heels should not be worn.
- Long pants are also suggested to protect the skin from possible burns.
- Long hair should be tied back and secure.
What do I bring to class?
This class requires each attendee to bring the following items:
2-4” Paring Knife, Mixing Spoon, Measuring Cup Set, Measuring Spoon Set, Vegetable Peeler, Whisk, Tongs, Flexible Spatula, Bench Scraper, Pastry Brush, Large Offset Spatula, and Small Offset Spatula. If you don’t have these items, don’t worry! These items are available in a pre-packaged toolkit for sale in our online store: store.walnuthillcollege.edu/equipment
This course is held in the kitchens of the historical Allison Mansion at 4207 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Guests are welcome to use our FREE gated parking lot directly off of Walnut Street between 42nd and 43rd Streets. Parking is available on a first come, first served basis. Please enter the main entrance to be directed to your course by a College representative.