This six week course, designed to teach the beginner chef basic Culinary Arts techniques, is the most popular offering in our Community Education program. Upon completion of the course, students will have more confidence in the kitchen and a solid culinary foundation to parlay into more advanced cooking courses.
Sessions Being Offered (select at time of purchase):
SPRING 2019: Tuesdays - 4/30, 5/7, 5/14, 5/21, 5/28 and 6/4
FALL 2019: Thursdays - 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/10, 10/17, and 10/24
Time: 7:00pm - 9:30pm
Class 1: Knife Skills & Stocks
Class 2: Sauces
Class 3: Soups
Class 4: Vegetables & Starches
Class 5: Handmade Pasta & Sauces
Class 6: Dry Methods of Cooking
What to Expect:
- Classes are typically 2 1/2 hours long (unless otherwise noted)
- Classes are limited to 12, 14, or 16 students per kitchen (depending on curriculum and Chef's preference)
- Participants will typically work in teams to execute recipes; however, individual skills will be taught.
- You will be standing and cooking for most of the class.
- We ask that all participants wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes as the kitchen floors can be slippery. Any type of heels should not be worn.
- Long pants are also suggested to protect the skin from possible burns.
- Long hair should be tied back and secure.
What Do I Bring to Class?
This class requires each attendee to have the following items: 6-9 inch Chef Knife, 2-4 inch Paring Knife, Mixing Spoon, Measuring Cup Set, Measuring Spoon Set, Vegetable Peeler, Whisk, Tongs, and Flexible Spatula. If you don’t have these items, don’t worry! These items are available in a pre-packaged toolkit for sale in our online store: store.walnuthillcollege.edu/equipment
We ask that students please treat their tools responsibly, as the College is not responsible for any lost tools.
This course is held in the kitchens of the historical Allison Mansion at 4207 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Guests are welcome to use our FREE gated parking lot directly off of Walnut Street between 42nd and 43rd Streets. Parking is available on a first come, first served basis. Please enter the main entrance to be directed to your course by a College representative.