This six week Advanced Pastry Arts series is designed for those students who are looking to expand their intermediate level pastry skills. This course will teach you the foundation of delicate recipes like Pâte à Choux and Puff Pastries and walk you through the magic of Fondant! We recommend this series for those students who have already taken our Introduction to Pastry Arts and Intermediate Pastry Arts - or those students who already have a working knowledge in Pastry Arts.
Winter 2019: Thursday 1/10, 1/17, 1/24, 1/31, 2/7, and 2/14
Spring 2019: Wednesdays 4/24, 5/1, 5/8, 5/15, 5/22, and 5/29
Time: 7:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Tuition: $435.00 per person
Week 1: French Macaroons
Week 2: Puff Pastry, Part I
Week 3: Puff Pastry, Part II
Week 4: Covering Cakes in Fondant, Part I
Week 5: Covering Cakes in Fondant, Part II
Week 6: Pâte à Choux
What to Expect:
- Classes are typically 2 1/2 hours long (unless otherwise noted)
- Classes are limited to 12, 14, or 16 students per kitchen (depending on curriculum and Chef's preference)
- Participants typically work in teams to execute recipes; however, individual skills will be taught.
- You will be standing and cooking for most of the class.
- We ask that all participants wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes as the kitchen floors can be slippery. Any type of heels should not be worn.
- Long pants are also suggested to protect the skin from possible burns.
- Long hair should be tied back and secure.
What Do I Bring to Class?
This class requires each attendee to bring the following items:
2-4” Paring Knife, Mixing Spoon, Measuring Cup Set, Measuring Spoon Set, Vegetable Peeler, Whisk, Tongs, Flexible Spatula, Bench Scraper, Pastry Brush, Large Offset Spatula, and Small Offset Spatula. If you don’t have these items, don’t worry! These items are available in a pre-packaged toolkit for sale in our online store: store.walnuthillcollege.edu/equipment
This course is held in the kitchens of the historical Allison Mansion at 4207 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Guests are welcome to use our FREE gated parking lot directly off of Walnut Street between 42nd and 43rd Streets. Parking is available on a first come, first served basis. Please enter the main entrance to be directed to your course by a College representative.