This six-week introductory course is designed for both those who are learning to bake for the first time and those who want to expand the skills they already have. After completing this course, you will be able to incorporate basic scientific techniques into the art of baking as well as form a strong foundation to build upon with more advanced pastry arts classes.
Week 1: Breads
Week 2: Tarts
Week 3: Quick Breads & Muffins
Week 4: Cakes
Week 5: Mousses
Week 6: Cookies
Fall 2018: Thursdays - 9/20, 9/27, 10/4, 10/11, 10/18, and 10/25
Winter 2019: Tuesdays - 1/08, 1/15, 1/22, 1/29, 2/5, and 2/12
Time: 7:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Tuition: $435.00 per person
What to Expect:
- Classes are typically 2 1/2 hours long (unless otherwise noted)
- Classes are limited to 12, 14, or 16 students per kitchen (depending on curriculum and Chef's preference)
- Participants typically work in teams to execute recipes; however, individual skills will be taught.
- You will be standing and cooking for most of the class.
- We ask that all participants wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes as the kitchen floors can be slippery. Any type of heels should not be worn.
- Long pants are also suggested to protect the skin from possible burns.
- Long hair should be tied back and secure.
What do I bring to class?
This class requires each attendee to bring the following items:
2-4” Paring Knife, Mixing Spoon, Measuring Cup Set, Measuring Spoon Set, Vegetable Peeler, Whisk, Tongs, Flexible Spatula, Bench Scraper, Pastry Brush, Large Offset Spatula, and Small Offset Spatula. If you don’t have these items, don’t worry! These items are available in a pre-packaged toolkit for sale in our online store: store.walnuthillcollege.edu/equipment.
This course is held in the kitchens of the historical Allison Mansion at 4207 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Guests are welcome to use our FREE gated parking lot directly off of Walnut Street between 42nd and 43rd Streets. Parking is available on a first come, first served basis. Please enter the main entrance to be directed to your course by a College representative.